Skip to main content

How I Cleansed My Life


Hello friends! I’m coming to you from an interesting place.

I have decided to change my life. I have decided that I want to make my life more of what I imagine it to be.

Hear me out. For so long, I’ve known that there are certain parts of my life that need to be changed.

I’m tired of looking in the mirror and knowing I can fix something but choosing not to. It’s getting frustrating.

I’m the one who needs to be accountable for me. I’m entering a really cool phase of my life, and if I keep going down the same path, I’m going to burn out.

 I refuse to let myself be that way. I want to be better. 

I’ve said that in the past, but this time, I made an actual plan. I cleansed.

I didn’t set out to follow this plan, but this is how it has taken shape so far.

1.       I deleted the 14,000 emails sitting in my Gmail account.

Yup, you read that right.

I am subscribed to so many blogs that I’m genuinely interested in.

The problem? I had emails backed up from three years ago. I couldn’t keep up with it for a while.

And so, I deleted all of them. I started at email ground zero. I didn’t want that clutter in my life anymore.


2.       I figured out what kind of life I want. 

The next part was figuring out how I really want to live my life. What do I want for myself?

 I want to be the kind of person that doesn’t leave things until the last minute.

I want to be able to stay on track with things like blog posts and marking and reading books for a book club.

I want to prioritise myself with things like working out but also being able to get life things done like vacuuming my room and cleaning the bathrooms (laundry, I’m good at).

I want to be the kind of person who goes for walks every weekend (weather permitting) and remembers to take vitamins every day.

This ideal life is extensive and a lot more than I can write now, but you get the gist.

4.       I determined three achievable goals to work on right now.

No one can change overnight. I identified three, simple things I want to incorporate into my everyday life. It’s on my whiteboard now so I have a daily reminder of it.
The first thing on my list is a reading schedule. I love reading, and it’s a massive part of who I am.

Soon, I’m going to be receiving a lot of books as I am judging the UKLA book competition this year.

I am also in an online book club, and I still have that to finish. Reading is so easy to me, and it’s the way I shut my brain down. I need to make sure it’s a part of my everyday routine.

The second thing on my list is keeping my emails at zero at the end of the day. That’s pretty straightforward, I think.

The last thing is working out every day. My sister sent me a seven-minute arm workout video that we’re going to do every day. We have to text each other when we do it so we know it’s done.

I also want to try and do yoga, but that may be pushing it. My bare minimum is the arm workout.



5.       I started doing yoga.

“Take a cleansing breath” is an instruction that my favourite YouTube yoga instructor often gives.

I have done Yoga With Adriene before (see my previous post about yoga here), and I’m back at it.

 Lately, I’ve been dealing with some rather negative thoughts and need to get out of that mindset.

I did an amazing Detox Flow that sounded like exactly what I needed and I’ve been trying to get back into it.

Yoga has been great at resetting my mind and body.

It also definitely helps with the sore back and neck issues that come with carrying heavy bags full of books for school.

Basically, this needs to be part of a mindfulness practice.

There it is. We’ll see how it works out I guess.

I’m still in the “cleansing” phases where I’m setting myself up by cleaning and getting through a to-do list for all of my work.

I think I may make this a bi-monthly catch-up post so I can update you on my newest goals and achievements (because let’s face it – that’s the “real” part of “real, not ideal”).

Has anyone else done something like this? Please share any tips or advice below (I need it).

-          Daniella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Ask and I Will Tell- Liebster Award

Fun fact: I like Mondays because a) I’m totally rested from the weekend, b) I basically have the whole day to myself, and c) my Monday night shifts at work are the best. Anyway, I got nominated for a Liebster award! Shout out to Emily at Pumpkin Emily Smiles ! I will give bonus points to anyone who can tell me what “liebster” means and why it has relevance to blogging. Anyway, things are different this time around. Here we go: 1.        Thank the blogger who nominated you (CHECK). 2.        Answer the 11 questions given to you. 3.        Nominate 11 other followers with less than 500 followers. 4.        Post 11 questions for the nominees to answer. 5.        Tag your nominees and post a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them So are we clear? Good? Yeah? Okay, these are the questions I need to answer. 1.        What’s your favourite food? I always feel like this question is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I have a fav