Skip to main content

The Truth About Establishing Routine

This is about to be a really honest post. I have been in Wales for a while now, and the truth is that I have not established proper routines yet. I tend to come home, spend way too much time relaxing, then give up sleep to finish my lesson plans. I have been living in a permanent state of exhaustion. I sleep in way too late on Saturdays and then I start feeling bad. I don’t have enough organisation for proper meal planning, so my eating habits haven’t been great. Soon, I will have to start planning ten hours of lessons a week. At the moment, those are taking me at least two hours to complete. I can’t sustain this way of living. I need to change.

To give you some context to this realisation, the people over at Elysium Health recently highlighted some of my tips on how to make your day just a little bit healthier. Once the graphic was published, I procrastinated. Then I procrastinated some more. Today, I finally took a good look at the infographic. I was floored by how relevant it was to me right now. I bet some of you reading this have a very similar story to mine. I bet some of you want to change the way I want to. With the help of this infographic and one week off (thank goodness for half-term), I am setting myself some goals. I need to set myself some healthy routines before I get into the swing of things when I head back to placement. 



1.       Get to bed at a decent time.
As it says in the infographic, sleep is vital for weight loss. That is still my goal (even if I haven’t done much about that recently), so I need to make sure I’m giving my body enough rest. I need to stop watching Netflix before bed and start getting into better bedtime routines.

2.       Add in movement as much as I can.
I say movement because I realise that exercise is just not realistic for me every day. However, I took a walk in the park today, and it was great. I can shorten my loop and make it a quick 15-20 minute walk right after dinner. As long as I get some type of movement into my day, I will consider myself successful.

3.       Meal plan
I saw some planning sheets in a store that will help me immensely. I need the visual reminder of what I am going to eat. I need to remember to take out the meat I need so I’m not stuck eating frozen pizza or grilled cheese.

4.       Establish better “me” time.
I do believe this is important. I have let this slip completely. Me time is NOT Netflix. I have always loved journaling, but I have been rubbish at keeping up with it while I’ve been here. I need that time. I also need to give myself time to read before bed. I keep forgetting that I can read for pleasure now. I have given myself a personal goal of finishing three books while I’m off. I’m already halfway through one, so wish me luck!

Thanks to Elysium Health for giving me the push I need to make small changes in my life to make it better. To learn more about Elysium's own mission of healthy, small changes, you can check out this page to see some of the science behind their NAD+ supplement. I will check back in with everyone to see where I’m at.

What are your goals for improving your life in little ways?

Daniella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Ask and I Will Tell- Liebster Award

Fun fact: I like Mondays because a) I’m totally rested from the weekend, b) I basically have the whole day to myself, and c) my Monday night shifts at work are the best. Anyway, I got nominated for a Liebster award! Shout out to Emily at Pumpkin Emily Smiles ! I will give bonus points to anyone who can tell me what “liebster” means and why it has relevance to blogging. Anyway, things are different this time around. Here we go: 1.        Thank the blogger who nominated you (CHECK). 2.        Answer the 11 questions given to you. 3.        Nominate 11 other followers with less than 500 followers. 4.        Post 11 questions for the nominees to answer. 5.        Tag your nominees and post a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them So are we clear? Good? Yeah? Okay, these are the questions I need to answer. 1.        What’s your favourite food? I always feel like this question is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I have a fav