Skip to main content

Barry Island, Big Pit, and Caldicot Castle

Well, due to no Internet, I have not been posting at all. Nothing about moving here has been easy. I’ve been thinking about blogging over the past couple Internet-less weeks, and I realized this year will be so fun to share with all of you. I don’t think a lot is going to change, but there will certainly be more travel posts! Today, for example, I’ll share some little trips I’ve been on with my roommates and the Canteach crew.

Barry Island


 After we got the house sorted out, the team (aka #thegroupoffive) decided to head out on a little day trip. The nice man from the train station had suggested going to Barry Island. It was a beautiful day, so we thought it was perfect. So did everyone else. The beach was absolutely packed with people.


We took a walk out to the cliffs and took a gazillion pictures. We have all become each other’s official photographers. It’s adorable.


We stopped for some fish and chips (obviously) before heading to the little theme park by the train station. It’s called Pleasure Park, and, yes, several inappropriate jokes were made. We all went on a couple rides. It was a great little afternoon.


Barry Island is a half hour train ride from Cardiff. If you have a chance and the weather is nice, definitely check it out.

Big Pit

The next two items came from our social day with Canteach. We were brought on a day trip to some really awesome places. The first trip was to Big Pit. It used to be a huge coal mining town. It was shut down a while ago, but they now run tours with men who used to work there. It was so different, and it’s not something you would think about doing by yourself.


I could not take any pictures since my camera was not allowed in the mines. The tour itself was fascinating. It’s so rare to get a tour of someone with the full experience. It was heartbreaking at some points (particularly when he mentioned the exploitation of children and animals) since there is a lot of dark things that happened down there. This career is stained with so much death.


Of course, there is a ghost story that freaked me the eff out. Just ask Abigail about how jumpy I was. I may or may not have grabbed her in an effort to protect myself.


The scenery outside was stunning. It was a great morning.

Caldicot Castle


This was obviously my favourite part. I opted to wander off by myself and discover every nook and cranny of the place. I found everything I possibly could.


It turns out they do weddings there, and I found the cute little banquet hall they hold functions in.


This is not the most authentic castle. It was done over in the Victorian era to suit the style of the guy who bought it. The coolest thing about it is that it was used as actual homes for families after WWII to meet with a housing crisis in the area. I internally (and maybe externally) freaked out about the fact that real people (meaning not royalty) actually lived there.


I love castles so much. I learned that Wales has the most castles per square mile in the world, so I need to make a list of all of those trips I need to take. I’m so excited for the rest of the year.

That’s it for now! I’ve done some major “adulting” the past few weeks. I’ve already learned so much, and I’ve made a couple points on my yearly “lessons learned” post. I’m feeling really happy overall. When I first got here, I was not. I missed home. I missed my room. I didn’t feel like myself. I had to get accustomed to being around people that are different from my friends at home. Part of me knows I still have a lot more settling in to do. This experience is completely different from my last move to the UK. I’ll get there, but this adjustment period will be longer.

How are you guys doing? Tell me about your most recent day trip! If you have any suggestions for day trips/weekend trips while I’m here, please share!


-Daniella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Ask and I Will Tell- Liebster Award

Fun fact: I like Mondays because a) I’m totally rested from the weekend, b) I basically have the whole day to myself, and c) my Monday night shifts at work are the best. Anyway, I got nominated for a Liebster award! Shout out to Emily at Pumpkin Emily Smiles ! I will give bonus points to anyone who can tell me what “liebster” means and why it has relevance to blogging. Anyway, things are different this time around. Here we go: 1.        Thank the blogger who nominated you (CHECK). 2.        Answer the 11 questions given to you. 3.        Nominate 11 other followers with less than 500 followers. 4.        Post 11 questions for the nominees to answer. 5.        Tag your nominees and post a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them So are we clear? Good? Yeah? Okay, these are the questions I need to answer. 1.        What’s your favourite food? I always feel like this question is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I have a fav