Saturday, June 24, 2017

Pinterest Challenge - June 2017

End of May/beginning of June was busy. I was on the go all the time, so I needed some easy things. I love breakfast, but I also really like the idea of “grab and go.” I have a couple really great breakfast idea and some smoothies because the weather is getting hot!

1.       Blueberry Muffin Smoothie


In an effort to make something yummy as well as healthy when a friend came over, I made this smoothie from Iowa Girl Eats. It was so fantastic. I was slightly thrown off by the lemon zest, but that is what made this smoothie actually taste like a blueberry muffin. Again, this is purely delicious.

2.       Strawberry Oatmeal Smoothie


I definitely put way too many strawberries in this, but it was not detrimental to the recipe in any way. Happy Money Saver suggests this recipe as a freeze ahead smoothie with the oats (kind of like overnight oats), but I opted out of that for convenience’s sake. It still worked, and it was creamy and yummy. I don’t think it was anything special, but I liked the additional flavour of the oatmeal.              

3.       Dijon Mustard and Pear Grilled Cheese


This combination from Will Cook for Smiles seems odd but hear me out. The Dijon MAKES this grilled cheese. Honestly, skip the honey. It added only a little sweetness to it, and it made the whole grilled cheese look bad and smell burned. Other than that, the sweetness of the pear and tartness of the mustard is outstanding.

4.       Churro Waffles


My sister was home for a while, so we decided to make breakfast. This was a pretty amazing dish. The link from Cooking Classy is for the actual waffles. The churro idea is at the bottom for alternatives, so we mixed cinnamon and sugar and put it all together. The waffles are good, but they didn’t crisp up in the oven like it said it would. I don’t know if I was using the wrong setting, but that’s alright. Also, sorry about this date stamp. I don't know how to get rid of it on my camera.

5.       Maple Brown Sugar Overnight Oats


This is my favourite thing on this list. I’m warning you right now that it does not look as pretty as it does in this picture. Once you stir it, it just becomes like every other regular goopy oatmeal. I made this twice because I loved it so much. Papa said it was too sweet, but I’m a sweet tooth, so it was perfect for me. I loved the fact that it was made for me, so I just left with a jar in my bag. Perfect for on the go.

Once again, this is all about the food.  I have a couple lifestyle things I want to try out for next month. It should be great!

Daniella