Skip to main content

Pinterest Challenge - January 2017

I’m starting this off as a lie. These are all things I did in fall of 2016. But we’ll go with it. As you can tell, I got into some good breakfast routines. For a while, I didn’t work until Thursday evening, so I didn’t have anything to do in the morning. I was really into waffles for a while which is why you see so many here.

1.       Baked Bananas Foster Oatmeal


This was one of the best by far. I’ve been meaning to make it again, but it takes a long time, and I just have not had the time. It makes two portions, so I made some for my mom and myself, but you could 100% stick it in the fridge and warm it up the next day. Highly suggest this meal from Culinary Ginger.

2.       Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Muffins


Since I work in the mornings, I like grab and go breakfasts. Muffins and some fruit are perfect for that. I made these muffins, and I didn’t think I liked them at first. This recipe from Little Sweet Baker is actually better the next day in my opinion. I couldn’t resist having one fresh from the oven, but it was so sweet that I started regretting making it for my breakfast. However, when it came down to it, these were perfect. They’re maybe (definitely) not the healthiest but still delicious.

3.       Brownie Batter Breakfast Bake


Now THIS was a great breakfast. I’m a huge fan of chocolate, but having too much for breakfast is not a great idea. Running with Spoons suggests minimal chocolate. You get some cocoa oatmeal with the choice of adding more chocolate on the top. Actually, their recipe is good for vegans too! I’m not vegan, so I ignored all of those tips. I also added more chocolate chips on top than necessary. If you want to incorporate more chocolate into your life, try this recipe.

4.       Pizza Grilled Cheese


This originally came from Pinterest, but the domain has since been removed. Anyone who knows me well knows that I coined Grilled Cheese Friday. I rarely make grilled cheese on Fridays anymore due to scheduling issues, but I managed to pull it off one day to make pizza grilled cheese. All you need is bread, oregano (or Italian seasoning), pepperoni, mozzarella (or provolone) and a little bit of pizza sauce. I spread a little bit of the sauce on the inside of the bread and add the seasoning on top of that. The rest is all thrown together – definitely one of the best #grilledcheesefriday creations.

5.       Vanilla Cake in a Mug


This came out of a major craving for cake. Are mug cakes even a thing anymore? If they aren’t, why not? They’re perfect for satisfying those little cravings. Bitz and Giggles has a great recipe for an easy vanilla mug cake. It was delicious and fun and quick to make. The vanilla icing is definitely the best part, and sprinkles are necessary. It’s so moist and yummy, and not too sweet either (I’m starting to sound like my dad). I wish this picture turned out cuter, but oh well.

6.       Apple Butter Waffles


I love making waffles because they are so easy to make. My mom happened to have some apple butter in the pantry, and I thought of this recipe from Sugardish Me. I did not do the cinnamon topping they suggest. This was not my favourite recipe. I added cinnamon to the batter, and it needed more. The flavour from the apple butter didn’t really come across. Maybe it would have been better with the sauce, but I’ll pass on this in the future.

7.       Pumpkin Spice Waffles


These waffles from Just a Taste were pretty good. You can’t get through fall without doing something pumpkin spice related, right? The only thing I would suggest is adding pumpkin spice to the recipe. I added about a teaspoon, but you could go with even more. The way the recipe is simply does not have enough spice.

8.       Salted Caramel Waffles


This was a bit of a mix. I took the batter recipe from Cooking Classy and the sauce recipe from The Hungry Mum. I thought the sauce could have used a little more salt, but my dad disagreed. However, I LOVED the sauce. I put the leftover stuff in my coffee for a few days after. The sauce is completely versatile. The waffles were okay. They tasted more egg-y like a pastry than anything else. I’m still looking for the perfect waffle recipe (any suggestions?).

I was clearly all about the food last year. I want to try a few more things this month once I get this all going. I want to learn how to cook a little more. My dinner/lunch board has remained relatively untouched for a while now. I’ll get to it.

What have you tried from Pinterest recently?

-Daniella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Ask and I Will Tell- Liebster Award

Fun fact: I like Mondays because a) I’m totally rested from the weekend, b) I basically have the whole day to myself, and c) my Monday night shifts at work are the best. Anyway, I got nominated for a Liebster award! Shout out to Emily at Pumpkin Emily Smiles ! I will give bonus points to anyone who can tell me what “liebster” means and why it has relevance to blogging. Anyway, things are different this time around. Here we go: 1.        Thank the blogger who nominated you (CHECK). 2.        Answer the 11 questions given to you. 3.        Nominate 11 other followers with less than 500 followers. 4.        Post 11 questions for the nominees to answer. 5.        Tag your nominees and post a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them So are we clear? Good? Yeah? Okay, these are the questions I need to answer. 1.        What’s your favourite food? I always feel like this question is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I have a fav