Skip to main content

Rother Valley

Here begins my attempt at travel posts. I’m going to preface this by saying I’m not an expert traveller. To be honest, I don’t even like travelling; rather, I don’t like the process of travelling. I have a great time once I’m there, but transportation makes me sleepy and grumpy at the same time. However, I’m in England and the convenience of travelling is too easy to ignore. I’ll admit, I haven’t been taking advantage of the ease of travel. I went to Harrogate for a day in September, London last October, and then Bath, Stonehenge and Lacock as a weekend trip in November. I was in Sheffield over Christmas, but it wasn’t for tourist purposes. Over the Easter weekend, I was back in Sheffield, and I got to explore Rother Valley with Matt.

The walk itself took about three hours. The walk around the lake took just over an hour. It’s deceivingly long – especially since you can see one end from another!

 
The lake was full of swans and ducks, and we wandered our way around and found a little petting zoo! I got to pet a four day old lamb, and it made my day.

 
In the middle of the path around the lake, there are some old buildings that now house a craft shop and café. It was a cute little place, but we didn’t want to stick around for long in case it started raining.

 
Part of our walk was along the Trans-Penine Trail. This was my favourite part of the walk because it used to be a railway. In the picture below, I’m walking on what used to be the train platform. I love little moments of history like that; it’s so fascinating.

 
On Easter Sunday, we were waiting for our train when a gorgeous rainbow showed up. It was the perfect end to an amazing weekend.

 
It was a short trip, but I loved doing it. As a side note, I’ve been walking a lot more lately, and I wasn’t as tired as I thought I would be. So take it from me: walking definitely increases your health. Anyway, Matt guesses that out of all the exchange students in and around both Leeds and Sheffield, about only a handful have seen Rother Valley. It’s certainly not a place I would ever venture to, or even know about, on my own. It was nice to go with Matt who has stories about getting drunk on the grass at the end of the school year or the clapping at people rolling down the path on Segways. If you’re ever around Sheffield and in want of a walk, I definitely suggest looking up Rother Valley. With the mini train-track and petting zoo, it would be a great place for kids too!

Have you ever discovered a place that you never would have if you weren’t with a local?

-Daniella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Ask and I Will Tell- Liebster Award

Fun fact: I like Mondays because a) I’m totally rested from the weekend, b) I basically have the whole day to myself, and c) my Monday night shifts at work are the best. Anyway, I got nominated for a Liebster award! Shout out to Emily at Pumpkin Emily Smiles ! I will give bonus points to anyone who can tell me what “liebster” means and why it has relevance to blogging. Anyway, things are different this time around. Here we go: 1.        Thank the blogger who nominated you (CHECK). 2.        Answer the 11 questions given to you. 3.        Nominate 11 other followers with less than 500 followers. 4.        Post 11 questions for the nominees to answer. 5.        Tag your nominees and post a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them So are we clear? Good? Yeah? Okay, these are the questions I need to answer. 1.        What’s your favourite food? I always feel like this question is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I have a fav