Skip to main content

Why You Should Journal

I love journals - I always have. I’ve always written in journals, but I don’t think I’ve finished one in a while. On Tuesday, I finished the most gorgeous journal I’ve ever owned. My best friend Julia gave it to me the night before I left Canada as a going away gift. Throughout, she wrote the sweetest notes that seemed to come at the right time. For example, I came across “keep going” when I was having a bad day stuck with some people I wanted to get away from. I came across “smile” when I was in a mess of frustration induced tears. On the last page of the journal, she wrote the nicest message that gives me strength on bad days. This journal was specifically for my adventures in Leeds, and I managed to cover the first 188 days of my journey. I’ve certainly struggled to write every day in the past, but I’ve now come into the habit of writing every day. I don’t want to forget anything about my time in Leeds.

Leather- bound Journal
To me, journaling has always been my way to vent and write out the thoughts I’m too scared to admit out loud. On a regular day, I write about two pages, but if I’m upset, I’ll write four pages straight. Journaling has been a tool for me to work through issues on my own. It has been a form of growth in my personal life. I believe I’ve mentioned this before, but I’ve never had one person to tell everything to, so journaling has been a vice in that sense. When I was younger, I think I wrote every time I was angry at my parents. It has clearly been an important form of expression in my personal life. I think the best part of journals is looking back at the old ones that bring back old memories or ways of thinking. With journaling, you preserve a piece of yourself within the pages.

Parker Pen and my new Journal
I tend to write full sentences without much structure to the layout. My sister keeps a journal of emotions. Some people keep dream journals. Some people have journals where you write a sentence a day. Whatever works for you, do it! Ms. Coumans is the most influential teacher I had, and one of the most memorable moments of her class in grade nine was when she read us a bit of her journal from university. It was a special moment for me because I kept a journal back then too. I have started a new journal since Tuesday, and I was so excited to begin a new book and continue to record my experience. This one was also a going away gift, so it means a lot to be able to write in it. I think it’s important to keep memories safe and private in a world where everyone feels the need to share everything. I think journaling is a good way to keep in touch with yourself. It’s a way for the present you to reach out to future you.

Do you journal?

-Daniella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Ask and I Will Tell- Liebster Award

Fun fact: I like Mondays because a) I’m totally rested from the weekend, b) I basically have the whole day to myself, and c) my Monday night shifts at work are the best. Anyway, I got nominated for a Liebster award! Shout out to Emily at Pumpkin Emily Smiles ! I will give bonus points to anyone who can tell me what “liebster” means and why it has relevance to blogging. Anyway, things are different this time around. Here we go: 1.        Thank the blogger who nominated you (CHECK). 2.        Answer the 11 questions given to you. 3.        Nominate 11 other followers with less than 500 followers. 4.        Post 11 questions for the nominees to answer. 5.        Tag your nominees and post a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them So are we clear? Good? Yeah? Okay, these are the questions I need to answer. 1.        What’s your favourite food? I always feel like this question is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I have a fav