Skip to main content

Monthly Favourites- March 2016

What a month this has been! I have been rather busy, and it has been one of my favourite months here so far; it was my birthday, I’ve been out a lot, and I got to be a part of true English culture. It seems like time is just flying by, and it’s hard to believe my time here is almost done. I’m so lucky to have spent my birthday in Leeds, and I’m even luckier to have gotten so close with someone who can show me English culture. I don’t think I would have the full experience without the true English elements.

1.       Birthday
 
Shirt- Reitmans
Jeans- H&M
Boots- Old Navy

My birthday was last week, and I had a great time! I’ve never had a good track record when it comes to birthdays, but this one was extra special. I made myself a cookie cake so I had a chance to blow out candles on my birthday, I went out to a burger place that made burgers to die for, and I met up with friends for a few drinks at a pub. I also absolutely loved my birthday outfit – I was so excited to have the opportunity to finally wear this shirt here! This is the best birthday I’ve had in a while.

2.       Blue John Earrings
 


These gorgeous earrings were a gift from my boyfriend. Now see, I absolutely hate surprises, and he has been torturing me about it ever since we got back from Leeds after Christmas! He gave me enough hints to let me know I should be expecting jewelry of some sort, but earrings ended up being one of my first guesses! Over Christmas, we went for a drive through the Peaks District with his mom, and we stopped at a little town called Castleton. Around this area is where they mine Blue John, and it is the only place in the world where this gem is found. This gift is extra special because of the stone itself plus they will always remind me of Christmas and Castleton and that drive.

3.       Kung Fu Panda 3


[source]

Matt got me into the Kung Fu Panda series because it is one of his favourites. If you haven’t seen the films, they are cute and feel-good – even for adults! We saw the third in theatres, and I loved it. The series always has good messages throughout the storyline, and this one was no different. Kung Fu Panda 3 isn’t as good as the second, but I strongly suggest checking it out. It’s a good rainy day movie.

4.       Polka- Dot Keds
The weather is getting warmer now! Here, we’ve had one warm day followed by a few days of chilly temperatures or rain. Whenever it has been warm(er) and sunny, I am quick to take these shoes out. I got them on a major sale last summer at The Bay, and I have loved them ever since. I wore them to the airport on my way here, and I wore them this past weekend because it was warm. I love that they’re a step above the plain white shoes that are in style now. Plus, they are so cute!

5.       Sheffield United Game
 

Now this is English culture at its finest. I got into football (soccer) since I’ve been here. I can pinpoint the best players from the teams in the Premiership, and I can name a majority of the 20 teams in it. The thing is, I’ve never been a sports person, but I’ve really been enjoying football. Last Friday, I went to see the team Matt supports. Sheffield United are not the best team, and they’re certainly not in the Premiership, but they played well and won their game! One of the best parts of English football is their cheers for the specific teams. We spent 15 minutes the night before so I could learn the “Greasy Chip Butty” song, and it was such a cool feeling to sing it with all the fans! Also, sorry for the awful quality of this picture.

Tomorrow, I will be off to York for a couple days. I am really looking forward to this upcoming April because I have quite a few trips planned! I realized that I’ve been to a few places, but I’ve posted nothing about it. Starting Saturday, I will be including some travel posts. I hope to share a few of my pictures with you guys and continue whenever I go on trips – big or small! Get ready for some exciting things coming up!

What are your favourites this month?

-Daniella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Ask and I Will Tell- Liebster Award

Fun fact: I like Mondays because a) I’m totally rested from the weekend, b) I basically have the whole day to myself, and c) my Monday night shifts at work are the best. Anyway, I got nominated for a Liebster award! Shout out to Emily at Pumpkin Emily Smiles ! I will give bonus points to anyone who can tell me what “liebster” means and why it has relevance to blogging. Anyway, things are different this time around. Here we go: 1.        Thank the blogger who nominated you (CHECK). 2.        Answer the 11 questions given to you. 3.        Nominate 11 other followers with less than 500 followers. 4.        Post 11 questions for the nominees to answer. 5.        Tag your nominees and post a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them So are we clear? Good? Yeah? Okay, these are the questions I need to answer. 1.        What’s your favourite food? I always feel like this question is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I have a fav