Skip to main content

The Importance of Closure


I feel like closure is one of the most relatable forces in the world. I say force because it’s one of those things that tends to weigh on your mind and can eat at you until you drive yourself crazy. Closure is more important than people make it out to be. I have never been broken up with, but I understand how crucial it is to get closure when a relationship ends whether it’s romantic or as simple as a friendship. Ending a relationship with someone is incredibly cruel if they don’t give you a reason.  I’ve been there. I’ve been in the situation where I’m lying in bed going in circles so many times figuring out what I did wrong. Let me share a story with you.

[source]
The first guy that I liked that actually liked me back was six years ago. A.C. and I really connected when we met and spent an hour and a half talking behind a couch. It didn’t end up working out (young love, go figure), but we became best friends and talked about everything. He was a good friend to me for a while. And, as all good stories go, we changed. I woke up one day and realized we weren’t friends anymore. For some reason beyond my reach, we weren’t on good terms. I watched myself get replaced by a girl completely opposite to me. I distinctly remember her telling me just how close they were. I had lost not only my best friend but someone special to me. I couldn’t figure out for the life of me what happened between us. I did what anyone would do – I changed his name in my phone to “YOU’RE OVER IT” and deleted him off of all social media. The thing is, “out of sight out of mind” works only if you’re not in the same social group. I would see him every so often and spent weeks after wracking my brain about our situation. It made me miserable.

Three years ago, I made the decision to figure it out. I knew I was going to see him again and that we were probably going to be in each other’s lives for a long time. I reached out and I asked him what had happened. We had a frank conversation about everything. I explained what I needed to, and he explained what he needed to. And that’s it. I got the closure I needed. Since then, we have been good acquaintances. We’ll catch up when we see each other and hug goodbye, but there is no longer a tension of the relationship that was.
[source]

I understand that not all situations will play out this way. Sometimes, closure is just impossible to get. If that’s the case for you, then what you can take from this is that best breakups are the ones that happen cleanly. That includes the ones you break off. When I had my friendship breakup in the summer, I gave that friend the exact reason why I couldn’t be friends with them anyone so they wouldn’t go through what I did. I was in a situation a year ago where a guy let me down so well that there was no confusion as to why it happened. Closure is importance to people’s well-being. Some people are easier to let go than others, but it is important to remember that all the people from your past are a part of you, but they do not define you.

-Daniella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Monthly Favourites- February 2016

I don’t know about you, but it feels like February has flown by! I can’t say it’s been a busy month; it’s more like a month of sinking back into routine. Last month, I was so ready to get back to school. It’s been great so far. I’m loving my classes, and I’m doing well with keeping on top of readings. I went to watch The Superbowl with friends (we didn’t make it to halftime), took control of my own body, and I’ve made myself a solid group of friends. I’m really happy. Here’s what got me through the month: 1.        NetGalley     I’m sure you can tell based on the sheer amount of book reviews I’ve been posting, but I have been reading quite a lot. This is all thanks to NetGalley. I have been a member of the site for over a year, but I never really got into it until now. At home, I have an extensive bookshelf, but I couldn’t bring that to the UK with me. I turned to NetGalley, and I have been rewarded. As a member, I request book titles and get a free e-book. In exchange, I have