Skip to main content

Monthly Favourites- January 2016

I have been so good about keeping track of my favourites this month. I received a little notebook for Christmas, and it is my official “favourites” notebook. This month has been pretty relaxing. I had one exam earlier in the month, and then I spent the rest of the month just hanging out. I took the free time as an opportunity to organize my life before school starts again and get some blogging ready to go (as you can see by my actual posting on time). It’s all been a part of my New Year’s goal that I spoke of in my last monthly favourites. I’ll probably write something about that at some point in February. I do think my favourites here are an accurate representation of what I’ve been up to.

1.       Room


 
This movie is based off of my favourite book, so I was so excited when I heard it was going to be in theatres. I went to see this movie last week, and there were only seven people in the theatre. It’s a hipster-type film, and I’m also pretty sure the other two couples in there were amateur movie critics. The only thing I can say is that I hope they liked it as much as I did. It is emotional wrenching, and I know I wasn’t the only one to shed tears. I was afraid the movie was going to lose the perspective that made me love the book, and I am thrilled to say it didn’t. I found out that the author, Emma Donoghue, wrote the screenplay as well, so that’s probably why it was so amazing. This is now my favourite film, and person I went to see it with said it was the best film he’s ever seen.

2.       T.G.I. Friday’s Jack Daniels Sauce
 
 
I went to T.G.I’s for the first time on a date at the end of December, and we specifically ordered off the Jack Daniel’s menu. Out of curiosity, we looked up the recipe for the sauce online, and found a great copycat recipe. Last week, we made it and had some awesome meals with it. It goes really well with chicken fingers, burgers, and meatballs. It would also go great with wings or ribs, but that’s a bit beyond my skill as a student chef. We absolutely loved this sauce, and I would definitely make it again.

3.       Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Top Coat
 
 
This has been on my favourites list last April, and I have been loving it again. My old bottle was getting to the point where it was all stringy and looked streaky on my nails. I was so upset because I realized how great it really was once again. I think it keeps my nails intact for much longer, and it doesn’t dull the shine on nail polish. That “Insta-Dri” thing is a true promise too. I don’t have the most patience in the world, and I’m not good at being lady-like with my nails when they’re drying, so this top coat has been a miracle for me. I simply had to buy another bottle because I actually missed having my good top coat.

4.       Amazon

[source]
 
I have never discovered the glory of online shopping until this month really. I decided to order all of my books for next term from Amazon to save some money. It was so easy, and it has been great since then. I ordered a case for my Surface and my top coat from #3. I know I’ll be doing more online shopping once I get back to Canada. It’s a great way to save money.

5.       Hotel Chocolat

[via Instagram]

I don’t know if I’ve mentioned this before, but I have a severe peanut/nut allergy. It is always difficult to find good desserts that are safe for me to eat. Over Christmas, I received a few boxes of chocolate that I couldn’t eat. Once we got home, my boyfriend and I looked up chocolate places that are good with allergies. Hotel Chocolat has been amazing. Due to liability, they have the “may contain traces of peanuts/nuts,” but they also have on their website that they clean the moulds and surfaces before making chocolates without nuts. We also talked to the girl who was working there, and she said she had been to the factory and seen proof that they actually do that. She also said they have so many regulations for health that I felt so safe eating there. So we bought a few different kinds and OH MY GOD I have been in pure heaven. I’ve never had fancy chocolate before, and this is perfect.

So there was my month! In February, classes start again. Other than that, I don’t have anything else planned. We shall see what the month brings! How was your January?
-Daniella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Ask and I Will Tell- Liebster Award

Fun fact: I like Mondays because a) I’m totally rested from the weekend, b) I basically have the whole day to myself, and c) my Monday night shifts at work are the best. Anyway, I got nominated for a Liebster award! Shout out to Emily at Pumpkin Emily Smiles ! I will give bonus points to anyone who can tell me what “liebster” means and why it has relevance to blogging. Anyway, things are different this time around. Here we go: 1.        Thank the blogger who nominated you (CHECK). 2.        Answer the 11 questions given to you. 3.        Nominate 11 other followers with less than 500 followers. 4.        Post 11 questions for the nominees to answer. 5.        Tag your nominees and post a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them So are we clear? Good? Yeah? Okay, these are the questions I need to answer. 1.        What’s your favourite food? I always feel like this question is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I have a fav