Skip to main content

In The Words of Women

With all the New Year inspirational kicks pretty much over (which comes with already failed resolutions), I want to put a little positivity and inspiration out there brought to you by some wonderful women of the world. Every year, Glamour magazine prints an issue dedicated to women. There is an awards night to celebrate the achievements and pride we have in the female leaders of our generation. Let’s face it, most of the entertainment business is dominated by men. But this celebration is full of the most uplifting women. Rarely do women in real life or media choose to celebrate each other. I’ve pulled some quotes that I found particularly inspirational to me, and I’ll explain why I find it so uplifting.

1.       I don’t think anyone should underestimate the power of their own voice…You are the women we’ve been waiting for.” –Barbra Streisand (Glamour, January 2014, p. 14)

I feel like everyone has heard some version of the first part of this quote. It is significantly more difficult for women to gain the confidence to speak out against injustices against them. There is certainly something to be said about working in a group. But, every movement needs to be started by ONE person. And that woman may as well be you. If you have an idea, go for it! If you want to create a revolution, go for it! You are what we need.

2.       “Let the world know you are you are, not as you think you should be, because sooner or later, you will forget the pose – and then where are you?” –Katie Couric quoting Fanny Brice (Glamour, January 2014, p. 15)

I find that women more than men have to put on an act. They think they need to change the way they are in order to be taken seriously or to be noticed. The thing about putting on an act is that you’re constantly putting pressure on yourself. And, as this quote points out, you become nothing but the act itself; you lose sight of who you are. Be yourself. The right people will notice you for the right reasons. If you need to put on an act, the people you’re trying to impress aren’t worth it.

[source]

3.       “Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart.” –Malala Yousafszai quoting Kahlil Gibran (Glamour, January 14, p. 15)

I have already talked about my experience with beauty on the blog, and I think Malala wraps up my overall personal experience perfectly. I specifically believe that my own beauty comes from the way I shine for others by making them feel good. In general, I believe that the most important beauty does come from within, as cheesy as that is, and that is what others appreciate the most.

4.       “When God created man and woman, he was thinking, Who shall I give the power to, to give birth to the next human being? And God chose women. And this is big evidence that women are powerful. Women are strong. Women can do anything. Come out and struggle for your rights; nothing can happen without your voice.” –Malala Yousafszai (Glamour, December 2013, p. 250)

This is similar to #1, and I love it just as much. Malala stands as a symbol of one voice that stood out and started to make changes. She now urges others to do the same. I can’t think of a more powerful representation of what can happen when women stand up for their rights. We are powerful as women - as God chose it. We, for the most part, have a major biological purpose, and that stands to prove our strength and power.
 
[source]
 

5.       “Life’s a party, dress like it!” –Lilly Pulizter (Glamour, December 2013, p. 87)

This isn’t quite inspirational like the others, but I love the positive outlook Lilly Pulizter puts on life. Her clothes are so fun and vibrant, and it’s an outward reflection of this quote. For me, this quote shows how our inner thoughts can easily be shown to others. Whatever way we chose to represent ourselves says a lot about who we are as a person. It’s just like when you chose to wear nice clothes to a job interview because it shows your professionalism. I like the idea of your clothes being a canvas for your personality.

6.       “We are women, hear us roar!” –Fergie (Glamour, December 2013, 58)

Enough said.

7.       “Nothing worth having is easy.” –Jenna Lyons (Glamour, December 2013, p. 55)

I’ve mentioned a lot about women taking control and power. We’ve been in a fight for decades, and it doesn’t seem to be ending. It’s not easy. It never has been. But that doesn’t mean we give up. It means we fight harder to get to where we deserve in the world. In the end, it will all be worth it.

I hope I was able to inspire someone today. Which women do you look up to?

-Daniella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Monthly Favourites- February 2016

I don’t know about you, but it feels like February has flown by! I can’t say it’s been a busy month; it’s more like a month of sinking back into routine. Last month, I was so ready to get back to school. It’s been great so far. I’m loving my classes, and I’m doing well with keeping on top of readings. I went to watch The Superbowl with friends (we didn’t make it to halftime), took control of my own body, and I’ve made myself a solid group of friends. I’m really happy. Here’s what got me through the month: 1.        NetGalley     I’m sure you can tell based on the sheer amount of book reviews I’ve been posting, but I have been reading quite a lot. This is all thanks to NetGalley. I have been a member of the site for over a year, but I never really got into it until now. At home, I have an extensive bookshelf, but I couldn’t bring that to the UK with me. I turned to NetGalley, and I have been rewarded. As a member, I request book titles and get a free e-book. In exchange, I have