Skip to main content

Letting People Go

For those of you who have started a new phase in their life- like your first year of university- then you may have already found out something important; it is completely different. You have to learn how to transition from one phase to another and come out of it as a better person. You are expected to grow and learn and try new things and find yourself.  Maybe that’s easier said than done. I, personally, have had two major transitions in my life, and both involve moving from different stages of the school system. Only last year, I was moving into university for the first time and I was so ready. Unfortunately, high school was just not my place to shine. I thought things were okay, but looking back now, I have realized why I am a better person than I was in high school. 



[source]
Don’t get me wrong, high school had its merits, but the worst part about it for me was getting wrapped up in the changing values. Or in my particular case, NOT getting wrapped in it. I watched my friends contradict their words with their actions, and make silly decisions because they were not of sound mind. I got caught up in the burdens of others, and it affected me in a way I never realized until recently. The truth was, I cared about my friends more than they cared about themselves. I made myself literally sick over the thought of their well-being while they were out having their fun. It was exhausting because I felt like I was always the one to help, and I never got anything in return. I wore myself out, and it started to affect my grades, and the few good friendships I had.

For some reason at the end of high school, something clicked. An incident happened with a friend that I thought I was close with, and I realized that all source of drama in my life revolved around her. I examined the relationships around me and realized how many of them weren’t relationships at all. It was just me worrying about people who didn’t want to be worried about. That’s not to say that you shouldn’t address concerns with friends. These particular “friends” just didn’t happen to be friends at all. At the end of high school, I was feeling a little lonely, but that summer, I made the decision to change things around. I knew that I was about to start University, and I would meet so many people that have the same values as me. I also knew that since I was going to a school in the same city I live in, that many people from high school would be at my school. With those in mind, I made the decisions to let everyone from the past go. I would not go out of my way to say hi to them, but I wouldn’t be rude if they talked to me. That decision was the most important decision I have made regarding my personal life.


[source]
One year later, I am happier than I have ever been. The people I am friends with now are the best friends I could ever ask for. On page 74 of Glamour magazine’s December 2013 issue, Lake Bell says “Having a history is not always enough. The first lesson I’ve learned with age is that all I need is a small team of comrades who inspire me, not to judge me, and remind me when I’m judging myself.” The truth to this statement is powerful. All I had to do was let go of the toxic people in my life to become a happier version of myself. I have only two friends from high school. One I met on orientation day before school had started. And the other I met during a particularly sweaty audition for Happy Days, the school musical. I am so thankful and blessed to have these two in my life right now. We have the history of a strong relationship, so I know they were meant to remain in my life for a very long time.

So what did I learn from all of this? Number one: let people go. It is in your best interest to let go of the relationships that are hindering you from living a full life. I’m watching a friend go through this stage right now, and it is not easy, but she knows that in the end, the drama was stop, and she will be happier for it. Number two: sometimes, you have to let your friends dig their own hole and only help them when they realize they forgot the ladder to get back up. It certainly is important to help your friends, but if they won’t accept your help, then back off. Stick around, and wait for them to realize you’re right. It may happen, it may not. All I know is that worrying about it when they won’t is troubling and it could lead you down a bad emotional path. Number three: surrounding yourself with the best people you can find makes you happy. And I am proof of that!
-Daniella




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Monthly Favourites- February 2016

I don’t know about you, but it feels like February has flown by! I can’t say it’s been a busy month; it’s more like a month of sinking back into routine. Last month, I was so ready to get back to school. It’s been great so far. I’m loving my classes, and I’m doing well with keeping on top of readings. I went to watch The Superbowl with friends (we didn’t make it to halftime), took control of my own body, and I’ve made myself a solid group of friends. I’m really happy. Here’s what got me through the month: 1.        NetGalley     I’m sure you can tell based on the sheer amount of book reviews I’ve been posting, but I have been reading quite a lot. This is all thanks to NetGalley. I have been a member of the site for over a year, but I never really got into it until now. At home, I have an extensive bookshelf, but I couldn’t bring that to the UK with me. I turned to NetGalley, and I have been rewarded. As a member, I request book titles and get a free e-book. In exchange, I have