Skip to main content

Be a Rebel

Life as a young adult is hard. As I mentioned before in my post about today's youth, I find that we are told who to be before we get a chance to find out for ourselves. I apologize for this, but I can only tell you how I feel about this as "fat" girl, and I am not the ideal person compared to what we are told to look like. This is the same for images of men. Anyone who does not look like (or doesn’t try to look like) the god and goddess-like illusions in the media are targeted.
[source]
a female, and I can share my speculations for how it is living as a male in this world. All I know for sure is that is affects body image alike. Our society is obsessed with beauty and perfection. I have shared my own struggles as a

Have you seen the movie Beastly (find the trailer here)? It is a modern take on Beauty and the Beast, but the twist is that it takes out the most popular guy in school who depends on his good looks and charm to get his way. I thought about this and I realized that this is true in the real world. The most beautiful people get the most beautiful things. Happiness and a fulfilling life is not necessarily a guarantee here, but the average people are lusting after their beautiful life. Are we not all obsessed with the lives of celebrities? Does MTV not have a show that’s dedicated to looking inside the homes of said celebrities? And where does that leave the rest of us? Not everyone can be a celebrity. We’re stuck watching the lives of other people, and because of all this media, people become unhappy with the life they are leading.

[source]
This unhappiness can also be the same for relationships. We’ve all heard love stories and little quotes that go something like “when you get married, you get old and looks will be gone. If looks was all you depended on, what will be left?” Is there truth in that? Are people really looking for relationships based on looks? My experience says yes. But there is no validity in looking perfect. However, we are all still obsessed with this. Girls get all waxed up and go on diets and get breast implants to try to be the perfect female. Guys spend hours at the gym and become all tough and chase after girls to try to be the perfect male. Here’s the kicker: this does not apply to everyone. And it doesn’t have to.

Here’s the sad truth in this world: we reward submission and all the rebels are targeted. That is the truth. Why else would we care about the Kardashians? And that is why the most popular people in school (in my opinion), happen to be considered the most beautiful by what media deems beautiful. Everyone has their insecurities, and this situation is helping no one. The males who choose to not go to the gym and choose to be a gentleman are targets. The females who prefer not to wear makeup and choose not to shave their legs are targets. This is why body image is such a huge issue these days.
[source]

My solution? Be you! Be a rebel! You rock those unshaved legs or lanky body! You don’t need to listen to anyone else telling you you’re not perfect. If YOU are happy, and YOU choose to be this way, there is no need to be ashamed. Beautiful does not have to mean perfect. Make a new definition. Beautiful can mean happiness. Society may be dominant, but it sure can be wrong sometimes.

-Daniella

P.S. I had some computer issues on Monday. So now you get three posts in a row!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Ask and I Will Tell- Liebster Award

Fun fact: I like Mondays because a) I’m totally rested from the weekend, b) I basically have the whole day to myself, and c) my Monday night shifts at work are the best. Anyway, I got nominated for a Liebster award! Shout out to Emily at Pumpkin Emily Smiles ! I will give bonus points to anyone who can tell me what “liebster” means and why it has relevance to blogging. Anyway, things are different this time around. Here we go: 1.        Thank the blogger who nominated you (CHECK). 2.        Answer the 11 questions given to you. 3.        Nominate 11 other followers with less than 500 followers. 4.        Post 11 questions for the nominees to answer. 5.        Tag your nominees and post a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them So are we clear? Good? Yeah? Okay, these are the questions I need to answer. 1.        What’s your favourite food? I always feel like this question is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I have a fav