Skip to main content

Maniacal March

If you are in university, you will understand this completely. If not, maybe this will help you when things get insane. This is a stressful time for university goers. We are running head on into the last month of the entire school year. For me, this means I have all five essays for all five classes due in March. Two are due next week. Which means procrastination is efficient, sleep amounts are low, and caffeine levels are high. It happens. At a time like this, we need to increase our productivity, so I decided to write a list of the things I think would help with this universal issue. Don’t get down on yourself, procrastination is inevitable.
Here we go:

1.       MAKE YOUR BED
No, seriously. At the end of the day, the only thing I want to do is crawl into bed. When my bed is unmade, I get way too comfortable and I usually end up napping. I have less desire to crawl into bed when I see that it is nicely done up. It forces me to sit up and it makes me almost want to get a move on things. Almost.

2.       PICK OUT YOUR OUTFIT THE NIGHT BEFORE
I know this sounds dumb, but think about it: how long do you spend picking out an outfit in the morning? Now think about this: if you take that time out of your morning routine, it means you have that extra time to sleep in!

3.       KEEP YOUR WORK AREA CLEAN
For me, this means keeping my room clean. I am NOT by any means a neat person. It takes more effort than it should for me to keep things clean. But I know from past times when my room was actually clean that a clean room means a clean mind. I believe that you are influenced by your surroundings. It’s why people go to peaceful places to write. It is also why I have moved my work to my dad’s office.

4.       DON’T KID YOURSELF WHEN IT COMES TO BREAKS
“I’ll just watch this one YouTube video . . . it’s only a couple minutes away from 9:45, so I’ll just watch another one until then . . . they put a link to another video in the description box and I may not remember to watch it late so I’ll watch it now . . . I may as well catch up on the videos I didn’t watch last week . . . oh no, how did it get to 11:00!?!?!”
Sound familiar? This happens to me literally every single time I need to get something done. It is very important to take breaks when you’re working, but keep it reasonable people. Don’t get caught up in something you love. I like to read on breaks. It’s easy to say I’ll read two chapters because chapters actually have an end so it’s not like I’m stopping in the middle of something. Try some sit ups, or listening to a few songs, or eating some kind of candy that dissolves. Find what works for you.

5.       TURN YOUR PHONE ON SILENT
Once, I was working in my sister’s room and she shook her head at me every time I picked up my vibrating phone. It really irked me, but I realized she had a good thing going on by turning her phone on silent. I am a curious creature, so I always want to know who is texting me. So I started turning my phone on silent and texting people back at a time that worked better for my productivity. It also helps to turn your phone over so you don’t see it light up.

6.       MAKE A PLAN
I organize myself by forming a series of lines and dots and squiggles that represent certain elements of my to-do list. It’s like a checklist, but cooler. It makes sense to no one but me. It’s basically a secret code. I find that it really helps me focus. It’s more fun and less overwhelming than a list. Once again, find what works for you.

7.       NEVER CLICK ON ARTICLES IF YOU FIND YOURSELF ON FACEBOOK
This is a BIG problem for me. Browsing Facebook gets boring after a while, but if I click on articles, I end up wasting an hour and a half in a loop of endless Disney cartoons and Jennifer Lawrence GIFs. Easiest solution is to avoid the situation in the first place.

This is all I can think of for now. I admit, I am doing 0/6 of these items right now. On the bright side, I have come up with a temporary purpose for this blog. Procrastination tool.

Happy writing!


-Daniella

Comments

  1. #4 is my downfall haha
    I like the bed making tip, naps are always so appealing
    -MJ
    marleeandyou.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Monthly Favourites- February 2016

I don’t know about you, but it feels like February has flown by! I can’t say it’s been a busy month; it’s more like a month of sinking back into routine. Last month, I was so ready to get back to school. It’s been great so far. I’m loving my classes, and I’m doing well with keeping on top of readings. I went to watch The Superbowl with friends (we didn’t make it to halftime), took control of my own body, and I’ve made myself a solid group of friends. I’m really happy. Here’s what got me through the month: 1.        NetGalley     I’m sure you can tell based on the sheer amount of book reviews I’ve been posting, but I have been reading quite a lot. This is all thanks to NetGalley. I have been a member of the site for over a year, but I never really got into it until now. At home, I have an extensive bookshelf, but I couldn’t bring that to the UK with me. I turned to NetGalley, and I have been rewarded. As a member, I request book titles and get a free e-book. In exchange, I have